The town of Aguas Calientes or Machu Picchu Pueblo, it is located 112 km. from City of Cusco (4 hours by train), 15 km. from the City of Machu Picchu (25 minutes by bus) that is located about 2,400 m.a.s.l.
This town is the arrival point for trains from Cusco to Machu Picchu and takes the name of "Aguas Calientes" by the existence of medicinal mineral springs located 10 minutes from town, the same that have been prepared for tourist use and which are attended hundreds of travelers to recover energy after making long walks.
The village has a Main Plaza, where there is a small church and the Municipality of the place, also has a craft market and two museums and from this town, leading to different hikes that lead deep into the mountain.
Undoubtedly, the Town of Aguas Calientes is a cozy place with a lot of movement of tourists, who focus on the few streets of the place and fill the restaurants, bars, pizzerias and pubs, where you can taste all kinds of typical food and international. You can find restaurants of different categories, from the cheapest to the most exclusive.
The village is surrounded by mountains, at the foot of the Inca City of Machu Picchu and has an average temperature of 20° C with sunshine during the dry season, ie from May to October. On the other months there is cloudiness, usually cleared during the day and of course the presence of rain; however the temperature is kept on the 8º C. If you decided to spend the night in "Aguas Calientes", consider the following recommendations:
Where to stay:
In the town of Aguas Calientes there are all kinds of accommodation. From a municipal camping which costs PEN S/. 20.00 per tent; up to 5-star hotels of USD $ 600.00. The offer, hotel is extensive and can make reservations online.
All hostels and hotels are very characteristic for its decoration, they are made with very good taste and own arrangements in the area, wood furniture handmade from any large or small window you can see the beautiful scenery of the mountains of Machu Picchu. Certainly also you find hotels with westernized decor.
Where to eat:
Like the hotels, in the town of Aguas Calientes there are restaurants of different categories. You can find cheap restaurants as well as exclusive restaurants, all you serve local and international food. You can always find something that fits your taste and budget.
What to do in Aguas Calientes:
In his free time in Aguas Calientes you can:
- Make a hike to Mandor Waterfall is a quiet walk is 4 km. from town.
- Another option is to go to the Hot Springs of Aguas Calientes is a place that has pools, dressing rooms and a snack bar.
- You can visit the Museo de Sitio Manuel Chavez Ballon where you have a panorama of the discovery and investigation of Machu Picchu.
- There is also the Museum of Models of the Municipality of Machu Picchu.
- And if you have good physical condition, experience in trekking, climbing high level, you can encourage you to ascend to the Putucusi Mountain.
- Get more information about the tourist sights in Aguas Calientes or Machu Picchu Pueblo.
By Ticket Machu Picchu – Last Update, 03-08-2015